Sunday, August 3, 2014

Junction 10 LRT

I took the MRT from my house to Choa Chu Kang and LRT to Junction 10 and guess what? The whole journey took me 2hrs and 15mins!!!

Before I travelled from my house to Choa Chu Kang, I did research on the transit link website of the duration from point to point MRT station. From my house to Bishan MRT, the duration is about 30-35mins travelling on North East / Circle line. So far North East / Circle Line have been quite reliable. From Bishan MRT to Choa Chu Kang MRT, it reflected as 33 mins duration. However in reality, it took me 50mins! The train was traveling at average 5-8mins per stop and it was moving so slowly.....

I had not took north south line for a long time and the service deteriorates! Travelling time lengthen instead of keeping to the standard. It is bad considering with the improvement of technology through the years and privatization of the company which supposedly would help to improve the train operations.

Finally when I reached Choa Chu Kang MRT, the LRT station is located at another site. The only connecting path from the Choa Chu Kang MRT to the LRT is via a long fleet of stairs. As I was pushing the stroller with my gal, I need to get out from the Choa Chu Kang control station and walk over to the LRT station.  Then I need to press the help button to speak to the operator to get into the LRT control station since I was transferring before taking the lift up to the LRT platform. The whole design creates inconvenience to commuters especially those with strollers or wheelchair bounded.

After finally making my way to the LRT platform, I was looking at the LRT map which indicated the Junction 10 station which was 1 station before Bukit Panjang station but was greyed out. I didn't know what it means but there's no other map or direction as well. I tried to ask one other commuter, but he was not sure too.

Thinking it is only logical for the LRT to stop at Junction 10 station since only one station before Bukit Panjang and no other directions too, I got on the LRT. But I was wrong, the LRT from Choa Chu Kang never stopped at J10 station. It turns out that to travel to the J10 station, I need to alight at the Bukit Panjang LRT station, go to the opposite platform and wait for every 20mins for the one and only service C which is the only LRT service to J10! My gosh! The whole process is so cumbersome! Luckily one kind soul told me about this when I was lost.

I was not the only one encountering this problem. On my way back, while waiting for the LRT from J10 station (yes, 20 mins wait for 1 LRT), one guy asked me how to take the LRT to Choa Chu Kang station. When I told him he needs to get off at Bukit Panjang first and take another LRT to Choa Chu Kang, he was looking at me unbelievably.

When I took the LRT from Bukit Panjang station to Choa Chu Kang, the LRT stopped at the Bukit Panjang station for close to 10mins before moving off. It seems like they are trying to get as many commuters onto the train before moving off. A cost cutting measure?

You can imagine a train full of commuters squeezed and stuffy. Furthermore, the LRT aircon seems to be lacking and I was perspiring all the way. The whole travelling process is so frustrating!

Comparing the Sengkang / Punggol LRT system, I think SK/Punggol LRT are managed so much better. The LRT frequency is good, max waiting time for a LRT is about 5mins during off peak. The LRT moves off quickly, aircon is strong, connectivity between MRT and LRT is seamless with lift or escalator without having to exit from the control station. There are clear signs with colored routes to indicate to people which LRT / route to take. There are also staff at the platform maintaining order. I never really appreciate how well SK/Punggol LRT is managed until today after experiencing this Choa Chu Kang LRT system. I don't think I will want to take this again unless no choice.

The policy makers or the train operator should come down and take the train and LRT personally to experience themselves what the common people are facing everyday. If the government wants people to give up car and take public transport, the public transport at the minimal should be made efficient, easy for people to travel, redesign routes which are illogical (like the J10 route) and always on the dot.




Arrival Timing to J10


Departure timing from J10


LRT map from J10 station. Isn't it illogical that it doesn't goes to Choa Chu Kang? Not even a sign to indicate transfer @ Bukit Panjang to Choa Chu Kang?

No comments:

Post a Comment