Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Shichida Review Part 3

I had attended the Shichida lesson at Anchorvale CC for almost a month. Here are some of my thoughts of the likes and reservation.

Likes
1. Location
I love it that it is so near to my house. The travelling is a breeze. It only took us 30mins by LRT or 15-20mins by bicycle. Comparing the 2hrs travelling to Junction 10, this is so much better!

2. Teacher
The teacher here is more interactive. She will try to mingle with the children or guide them when they are showing difficulty to do the activities. She also made the effort to paste those songs lyrics on the wall. She is also more hygiene conscious and will hand the wet towels to the children at the start and end of the class. Previously at J10, the children were given the wet towels only at the beginning of the class.

3. Homework
Strangely, I quite like the idea of homework. Of course, the homework is to make the parent busy haha. But it also prompted me to practice with my baby at home too. Don't worry, the homework is something very simple and easy to do.


Reservations
1. Distraction
I noticed my gal tend to get distracted, not able to stay focus and displayed irritation when we are practising the activities in the class. I felt that she was easily affected by the sounds around her because when I practice with her at home, she was more focus and interested.

2. Development
She had developed exponentially over the month in terms of the ability to expressing herself, her understanding of things and vocabulary. However, I'm not sure if this is due to Shichida or part of the child development milestones. I felt that she enjoyed more and more interested when I read story books, sing songs and do home classroom activities with her as compared to the Shichida class.

3. Flashcard
I really don't like the idea of flashcard. The speed of the flashcard is the same as what I encountered at J10. Basically, the flashcards were flashed at very fast speed with the teacher murmuring out the words as she flashed. I think this is the standard at Shichida cos the teachers at both J10 and Anchorvale do the same thing when flashing cards. I still can't see how by flashing cards so fast can stimulate the child. Therefore I have my reservation of the effectiveness of flashcards.


I am still contemplating if I should continue Shichida for my gal after Dec. I need to think through this.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    May I know the rates at anchorvale cc branch?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Virginia
    I can't really remember the rates exactly. I think it was around $300 plus per month if not wrong. But that was excluding the PEC course. You may want to check with Shichida what is their rates now.

    ReplyDelete