Saturday, August 27, 2016

Ting Ting Development @ 3 years 6 months

It's been quite a while I updated my gal development progress. At 3 years 6 months, she is now an independent toddler who likes to do things by herself!

1) Brush Teeth & Toilet Trained Independently
The first thing she will do every morning when she wakes up is to go to the toilet and brush teeth by herself. She can now also use the adult toilet bowl to do her business without my help.

The good thing about her is, she doesn't like to use the kids toilet bowl seat cover and prefer using the normal adult one. So it is actually easier for me :) She even asked me not to peep on her when she is using the toilet!

2) Write Letters A to Z
She can now write letters A to Z by herself by tracing the dotted lines! But without the dotted lines, she can only write those more simple letters. With more practice, I believe she be able to write the letters by herself without the dotted lines aid.


3) Count Numbers 1-100
She is able to recognise and count 1-100 with some help. I believe in time to come, she will be able to count the numbers more fluently by herself!

4) Phonics
She is able to pronounce the first sound of the letters but some of the pronunciation is not so clear.  I am contemplating to enroll her to "I Can Read" program which is near to my house. I felt that learning phonics is important as this will help her to speak clearly and learn how to pronounce challenging words in future by knowing sound blending.

I had brought her to the ICR assessment and the teacher recommended her to start at the TCS (Thinking Creative Skill) level even though usually its more for 4 yrs and above. Even though it is not cheap but I signed up the course for her anymore. I shall write a separate review on ICR.

5) Mandarin
Speaking Mandarin is a challenge for her. Even though I tried to speak to her in Mandarin, but she would reply back in English. Teaching Chinese is quite challenging as hanyu pinyin is not easy to learn and for the child to comprehend. There are also not many teaching materials for hanyu pinyin for the toddler age.

So what I did was to try reading Chinese books to her as well. She can read and pronounce some of the words, but not very clear. I have signed her up to Beijing Language School. Shall provide a separate review too.

6) Questions
She likes to ask a lot of questions, literally in Chinese "打破砂锅问到底“. Some of her questions are funny yet challenging which I think is a good thing for her learning process.

7) Sight Words
She can now sight some simple words even though not too well verse yet. This is something I like to work on.

Overall, I am happy with her development and I observed compared to the children in her age group, she is slightly advanced. This is what her playgroup teacher told me too. Some may felt that I signed her up too many enrichment courses, however, these are something she enjoyed and match her learning needs. I can see that she look forward to attend her enrichment classes and kept asking for it. 

As I am working now and spend lesser time to do home classroom activities with her, these enrichment classes make up the void and further enrich her learnings in areas which are not my forte. 

No comments:

Post a Comment