Friday, March 4, 2016

Astronomy ~ It all started with Jupiter!

Since young, I've been very interested in astronomy especially planets. It always fascinates me how other planets look like and if there is any possibility of life besides Earth.

Few weeks ago, when I was at the playground with my gal one night, the sky was exceptionally clear and I could see quite a number of stars. I downloaded this app called "Skyview" and scanned the sky using the camera function which showed me the name of the stars and the constellations. It was an amazing app and highly recommended!

When we went home, I used the app to check out a bright star which was right up in the sky outside our bedroom. I wondered what is the name of the star as it was not blinking, and the shape looks irregular. And it turns out it was Jupiter! My gal curiously asked me: "What is this Mummy?". I showed her the planet and told her what was it. To illustrate better, I showed her a picture of the solar system with the planets using my iPad. She was so fascinated with it and I was quite surprised that she showed interest in the planets.



Last week I borrowed some kids astronomy books at the library about the planets and started reading to her. She was so interested in it and kept asking me to read to her repeatedly. Within a few days, she is now able to identify all planets and their sequence to the sun! When I asked her which is her favorite planet? Her answer was "Saturn! Because it got rings around it!". She even told me that when she grow up, she want to be an astronaut and go to space! I asked her if she will bring mummy along? She immediately replied "Yes!". Well, that really warms my heart....


Tonight, we learned about the Big Dipper. She was able to point out to me which set of stars belongs to the Big Dipper and where is the Polaris (North Star) from my iPad video clip! That is really amazing, to me.



To keep up to her interest, I am planning to bring her watch some astronomy show at the omnimax theatre at the science centre during the weekend. I also intending to bring her watch the upcoming solar eclipse (with safe settings) which is a rare occasion. I am so excited that finally someone share my interest and that special someone is my precious little gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment