Sunday, March 6, 2016

Key Board Magic @ Choa Chu Kang Library

Ting Ting meddling with the keyboard during the lesson
I've been pondering whether to enroll our gal to piano lessons for quite some time. As a young child, I was fascinated by piano. I remembered I budged my parents to buy me a keyboard so I could play music and self-learnt myself how to play it with one hand. I did not attended any music lessons and I kind of regretted it. 

Although that was my childhood interest, but this is not the reason why I am considering to enroll my gal to piano. Developing her temperament and her show of interest in music is what really prompted me to consider. 

As a single child, she was used to people pampering her and putting her in the centre of universe. Therefore I hope by learning music, it can somehow develop her temperament especially discipline and patience. Also, I felt that she has an interest in music too. When I borrowed nursery rhyme books from the library, she was able to sing almost all the songs in the book. In addition, when I played a tune on the keyboard, she was able to recognise the song and started to sing along too. In addition, as she was left handed, I felt there might be an advantage for her to learn piano too?

Although I am keen to enroll her to piano lessons, but the lessons are not cheap too. I need to be very sure that this is what she is interested in before I spend my $$. 

I came across this program "Key Board Magic" conducted by the library which is free. I felt that this is a very good opportunity to expose her to music learning and I quickly registered for it. Although the venue was at Choa Chu Kang library which is quite far from my place, but the opportunity to expose her to music is too good to be missed! 

It was an one hour lesson where the teacher taught some simple easy keyboard notes and taught the kids how to play a simple song. It was a fun and good experience in my opinion. 

However, I noticed my gal seems to be irate during the lesson. She don't seems to be able to follow the lesson and was restless. The teacher was teaching the kids to use their right hand to play the keyboard. As she was left handed, it seems that she had difficulty coping with her right hand. 

The first music exposure lesson seems to have dismay results. But I think it could be due to the timing as the lesson started at 1pm which was her nap time too. So it might be she was tired and couldn't focus well which resulted to her feeling restless during the lesson. I am not too discouraged by it because when we reached home, she immediately brought out her small keyboard and tried to play on it. Therefore I think this seed of music has started to implant in her mind, so it is now up to us if we want to water and sun it so that it can grow. 

At least now I know there might be some constraint for her to learn piano due to her left handed preference. So I need to do more research if this is something of a concern to learning piano. Timing of the lesson is also important as preferably the lesson should be in the afternoon after her nap or early morning if I will to enroll her in any lessons. She might be still too young to learn piano at age 3.

Review
I think this Key Board Magic lesson is a very good head start. The lesson was interactive and fun. The way the teacher taught the class was very lively and managed to instill interest to most of the kids. Therefore I would highly recommended parents to enroll their kids to the lesson as a head start or testing if their kids are interested to learn keyboard or piano. 

Rating: 5/5 

Verdict 
I think I better not enroll her to any piano lessons yet. However, I will continue to look out "Go library" for similar lessons to expose her to music. Until she is ready - when she shows that she can focus, concentrate and keen interest, then that will be the time I will enroll her to piano lessons formally.  

No comments:

Post a Comment