Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The Partial Solar Eclipse - 9 March 2016

This morning, we managed to catch the partial solar eclipse action at the comforts in our house by just looking out of the window. 

I managed to buy a solar eclipse transit viewer at the Science Centre last Saturday for the event today. Initially I thought of going down to Science Centre this morning to look at the solar eclipse as they would have the equipments for safer viewing. But that would be too much a hassle as Jurong is too far from my house. So we viewed the solar eclipse through this transit viewer by taking turns among ourselves. 


The solar eclipse view was amazing! It was as though the moon was eating into the sun. At the mid of around 8.30am if not remembered wrongly, the sun was almost covered by the moon and the sun look like a thin crescent moon. Too bad I don't have the appropriate settings to take the picture of the solar eclipse. I only managed to take a picture by covering my phone camera lens with the transit viewer, however it doesn't show the effects of the actual solar eclipse. It only showed a golden ball out of the darkness. 

My failed photo taking of the solar eclipse

Anyway, it was an eye opener for me as this is the first time I witnessed a solar eclipse. Same for my gal, she got to see the solar eclipse for the first time through the transit viewer.

The sun light was especially glaring during the solar eclipse and I was so worried that my gal might accidentally look at the sun without the transit viewer. But the good thing we view it at home is the settings are more controlled so I could just quickly move her away after she was done with watching with the transit viewer. 

The transit viewer is very useful as it allowed us to view the solar eclipse safely without hurting our eyes. I will be keeping it for the the next solar eclipse which will be in 2019. Till then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment