Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Spa, shopping & Interstellar

Yes, it's mummy's day out! Finally get to spend some "Me-time" with myself today. It's been a long time since I go out alone.

I've been planning for what I'm gonna to do today. First, I went for a massage @ Spa Rael located next to Goodwood Park Hotel. It's a complimentary massage with compliments from my credit card. What I like about the spa is the facilities. It provided the warm blanket so I actually feel warm while lying on it doing the massage. Before the massage, they did some survey with me asking about my areas of concern and my preference of the massage. Although I kept emphasizing I want light massage. However during the massage, the massage lady kept attacking my areas of concern and it felt very painful even though I kept telling her to be light.

The massage technique was not good and the massage lady don't seems to be experienced. I knew it cos an experience massager will be able to apply the strength well and not caused pain. Now while sitting here typing this blog, I felt my whole body ache already, especially my back, leg and thigh. It was supposed to be an enjoyable experience, but I think it was instead a torture. Nowadays it is very difficult to find good massager. They don't know how to apply their strength appropriately. So I don't think I will want to go back to Spa Rael again even though their facilities are top notch.

Next, I went shopping @ Takashimaya to buy a pair of sandals. Taka is now having discount and if pay by Taka credit card, you will get additional 10% discount. I bought a pair of fitflop sandals cos my previous pair was spoiled. I actually wore it for 6-7 years and it was my first pair of fitflop. It was the best sandal I ever had. Although it was expensive, but it was durable and very comfortable too. Therefore I don't mind paying for it as it can last me for many years. However I made a mistake. The size I bought was a little too small for me. I only realise it when I got home. I should have try a bigger size. So I need to go back again, hopefully can change to a bigger size one.

Finally, I watched Interstellar @ Shaw House IMAX. I watched it previously with bb but digital version. I wish to experience the IMAX version of the movie since it was film with IMAX. It was a great movie so I don't mind watching it again. Well, after watching it and comparing to the digital version, there is actually no much difference except the IMAX images clearer and sound system more bombastic. I thought it is going to be something like the OMIMAX theatre at Science centre but it is not. Therefore the conclusion is I will go for the digital next time since no much difference and cheaper by almost 40% as compared to IMAX.

Putting the IMAX experience aside, Interstellar is one of the best movie I ever watched. It's been a very long time I ever like a movie and willing to watch twice. Nowadays the movies showed are all full of violence, sex and vulgarities. The focus of movie making is profit. Look at what happen to Hobbit. It was a simple children's story, but they film it as Trilogy. Hunger Games too. The last series Mockingjay, they split it into two parts which could be done in one. Harry Potter was charming at first, but subsequently lost the sparks as the series went on. Even the super hero series, Spider man, Batman, Superman, Xmen, Iron man and many others...they just keep remaking to make money. Where was the magic, the imagination, the creativity and dreams of movie? I used to love watching movies, but now I am very selective. I read the synopsis of the movie and only watched it if the story line is something I like.

However for Interstellar, I didn't read any of the synopsis and just watched it because it was directed by Christopher Nolan and space travel always fascinates me. And yes it didn't disappoint me. The story was groundbreaking and the acting was top notch. I cried while watching the emotions between the father and children.

I got to understand the story better on the second time watching it. There are a few interesting concepts which the movie is introducing. The earth is no longer sustainable to live in the future so mankind is actively looking for other habitable planets to migrate to. Going into a black hole could allow travelling in different time dimensions and it might be created by human beings of the future?

This movie is not about aliens, but rather the survival of humans. I am not surprised that this day will come during my lifetime. Look around us, things are changing very fast. Snow caps are melting, rainforests are going and more disasters are coming. Earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcano eruption, Typhoons, all these are getting more frequent and vicious. It is the nature way of warning us. More and more countries are launching their space program to explore other worlds. Are they also trying to source for habitable worlds so that they can migrate to it cos they know what is going to happen?  I suspect when this day come, only the richest or the brightest of human race will get the boarding pass to the Noah's Ark.

Christopher Nolan is one of the best director, his movies don't disappoint so far. I started watching his movie from The Prestige and intrigued by his directing and story. Inception, a movie about planting ideas into the mind through dreams ~ "Your world was not real" still send the chills off me. However, the Batman series movie did not really impress me. I still prefer the Michael Keaton version, more light hearted, not so much violence. I hope he will continue to create quality movies. I think so far in Hollywood, only him and James Cameron are still keeping the standards of making great movies.

Oh well, what a day. Although the massage spoilt it, but watching Interstellar again makes my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment