Thursday, November 12, 2015

My DIY Project 1 - Cutlery Holder

Recently, I am flooded with many DIY ideas. I think it was also inspired by my goal to "Go Green". I had always kept my recycle box for the longest time in my storeroom, thinking one day, these things can be used. And yes, finally this day came. 

While I was doing some re-organising of my kitchen to clear up some space, I realised that my existing Ikea cutlery holder had turned rusty. That's the problem of stainless steel. Once they are constantly in contact with water, it will turn rusty and quite difficult to maintain. Therefore, instead of throwing it away, I clean it up and used it to put washing detergent dispenser so it would have lesser contact with water. But I need a new cutlery holder to put my cutlery. 

One thing I don't like about the Ikea cutlery holder is that the excess water will drip on my kitchen sink surface area and I need to constantly wipe it. I wanted a cutlery holder which can hold the excess water without dripping and allow me to drain it off easily. I looked at the cutlery holders available in the hardware shops, but couldn't find one which fits my requirement. 

Then suddenly one idea come to me. I looked through my recycle box and found this perfect used clear plastic chocolate container. The size is just right. I measured the height of my cutleries, and cut away the top part of the plastic container with the cap and fitted it back onto the bottom of the container. 

I poke some holes at the bottom of the container to allow the water to drip but the excess water will be hold up by the cap part. The excess water will be retained by the cap. I can easily drain the excess water by opening the cap and pour it away. 

I used some tough nylon thin ropes (also recycled), tied up the cutlery holder and hang it to free up my table top space. 

I'm happy with my DIY end product. It fits my requirement and I got to use all recycled materials without costing me a single cent. It looks good too and can blend in with my kitchen nicely :)

Effort Required: 3/5 

My DIY clear plastic cutlery holder using used chocolate plastic container.
The cap at the bottom hold the excess water without dripping. I can just removed the cap to drain away the excess water conveniently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment