Thursday, November 12, 2015

My DIY Project 4 - Screw free PC LCD stand

After a series of DIY projects, I started to look around my house to think of ideas how to reduce clutter and improve the process design. 

My work desk was always cluttered with my laptop, electronic stuff and all the wires. Gosh, how I dreaded the wires! I had no extra space on my work desk to do my stuff. Sometimes it affected my motivation to do my work too. 

I kept thinking of ways to create more space on my work desk. I first thought of making a mini flat drawer which I could place my LCD on top and put my laptop into the drawer whenever I need more space. I started to surf the net for ideas how to create the drawer but gosh, that required a lot of work and professional equipments like electric saw and many others. Basically I need a garage which I don't have! I also see no point of buying new equipments or wooden planks just to do up the drawer as it would defeat my DIY purpose of using recycle items. 

A second idea came to me to simply use a plank and install 2 stands by nailing it to the plank. However I would still need to saw the plank and stands to the required measurements as there were no ready made planks which fits the size. Therefore I thought hard and had a discussion with my husband. He suggested that I need to get something sturdy to hold the planks. Instead of sawing the plank into shorter pieces, a longer plank would be better as it would be able to hold more things. 

I searched my storeroom and found a piece of long laminate plank lying on the floor and piled with dust. It was an extra piece of plank which we had previously when we installed our laminate flooring. There was no use for it but it would be wasteful to throw it away as it was still so sturdy. So it was kept as a backup in case one of our laminate plank needs replacement. 

After wiping it, it looked as good as new and very sturdy and thick too. I measured the length and size, it was just perfect for my desk. 

Next, I needed something to hold the plank firmly. I don't want to go through the hassle of drilling holes, sawing and hammering nails. I needed something which I had many in quantity and could stacked them together to form a sturdy stand for the plank. 

Then an idea struck me. I could use CDs! I had so many of them which I had no use at all. Nowadays we watched our movies and shows in mp3 format. There are no need for CDs anymore. I had hundreds or maybe thousands of them in my cupboard collecting dust all these years and I don't know what to do with them.  

So I picked them up and stack all the CDs together to form a stand till they reached the required height. Each stand needed about 40+ CDs. Then I used clear masking tape to stick them together firmly. After making two CD stands, I placed the laminate plank on top of the CD stands. It forms a sturdy hold. I placed my LCD, speakers, phone and multi plugs on the plank. I re-arranged the wires neatly below the plank. I just need to push my laptop into the space gap between the 2 CD stands to make more space for my desk. 

Tada! My screw free LCD stand was made within a short frame of time with minimal effort! Seriously I am very proud of this creation! My husband was so surprised with this idea that he also got his desk installed with the same setting. We managed to find another extra piece of laminate plank in our storeroom and did up similarly for the CD stands. His desk now looks so neat and cluttered free too! 

Do try it to declutter your desk ;)

Effort Required: 1/5 

The CD stands are able to hold up the planks firmly. It looked so much neater with all the wires organised below the plank. 
I just slotted in my laptop beneath the plank and between the CD stands to free up more space on my desk! 

5 comments:

  1. After looking at the pictures, I wondered how stable the stand was since it seemed like you were only stacking CDs. Then I read you used masking tape. What a great idea—it makes it look like there is nothing there, but it really is stable. I need to try this to free up some space on my work desk!

    Brian Hopkins @ Microtips USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is really stable and I am surprised about the results too. I've been using it for a few months now and it is still holding up very well. You can definitely try this as it requires minimal effort. You can try to adjust the distance between the CD stands to balance the plank. If you prefer more stability, you can try glueing the CD stands onto the planks too. But I didn't glue it yet as I may need the laminate plank in future. But even without glueing it, it still holds very well. Do try it!

      Delete
  2. That looks pretty good. What do you think might be good ways to manage the cables and things? I've got a similar computer and monitor and I'm in the same position where screws aren't optimal. I like the look of the monitor raised up. I imagine it helps with eyestrain and posture both to have it positioned more naturally.

    Alison Henderson @ Expert Computer Repair Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the cable coil (the green colour round thing in the picture) to manage my cables and wires. It looks neater as I don't like too many wires hanging around my desk. I also hide some of the wires under my LCD stand too. Yup, one of the thing I like about this DIY is I can adjust the height according to my posture and eye level I am comfortable with. Do try it!

      Delete
  3. Doing it yourself, otherwise known as (DIY) is a great way to modify or repair something in your own style and in your own time without the help of professionals. Being able to add something inspiring in addition to what is already there is creativity on an entire new level.

    Raymond @ CKS Global Solutions LTD

    ReplyDelete